Thursday, June 26, 2008

First Blood Test Result Since Surgery..

Well before I get into the results, I need to say that I had the most amazing moment on Sunday. Very shortly after I was diagnosed with cancer, I met a person on Facebook who became my mentor during this whole process as he had just gone through the process a couple of months earlier. Without his constant online friendship, this would have been totally unbearable. He was always there for me when I was feeling low. Well on Sunday, he and his wife were in town. I got to meet up with him with my wife and it was great. It felt like seeing an old friend whom I hadn't seen in a very long time. It was like seeing family.

This week was a stressful week for me as I had my first blood test since my surgery, which was to set my baseline for the tests for the rest of my life. I had the test on Tuesday and had 24 hours to wait for my results. As usual the staff at my surgeon's office was amazing. Only this time, the nurse was a bit sadistic as I swear she chose the tiniest vein possible to draw the blood. It hurt like crazy!!! lol She laughed when I screamed. She's an awesome person so I forgave her for trying to kill me. After the blood was drawn, she told me that if I hear her voice on the phone everything was okay. If I heard someone else's on the I was in trouble.

So the next day comes and I'm in a meeting and see that I missed a call from the doctor's office and no message was left. Okay, that scared me as I assumed there was no way it could be good if they didn't leave a message. I hit redial on my cell and I hear the nurse's voice who drew my blood. A huge relief came over me. I almost jumped out of my skin. She told me the PSA came back 0.00! It doesn't get any better than that. So basically all of the cancer is gone or if there is any left it is too small at this point to register a PSA level. I will have to monitor my PSA for the rest of my life. I will do this every three months as I know that there is a 30% chance it can come back given that I had a Focal Positive Margin but for now, I'm going to live La Vida Loca! I will stay with all of my lifestyle/diet changes going forward as that will only help me prolong my life with or without cancer.

I am now motivated to begin a new project and will talk more about this as it develops.

No comments: